NEWS FROM THE TOWSON PRECINCT COMMANDER
Here is a quick reminder of some simple crime prevention steps we can take to deter potential thieves and burglars:
- Lock your vehicle and make sure that it is locked before you walk away from it.
- Remove all vehicle keys from the vehicle (including keys to other vehicles that may be parked nearby). We have experienced numerous cases that start out as a theft from vehicle and turn into a theft of a vehicle, because keys were left in the vehicle. For the year, nearly half of all vehicles stolen in this precinct have been stolen with the keys or while the vehicle was running.
- Remove valuables from the vehicle. Laptops, purses, wallets, phones and other valuables should never be left in a vehicle.
- I know they are not as popular as they were several years ago, but an anti-theft device like “The Club” or a similar steering wheel lock is another deterrent for thieves.
- Leaving the porch light on in the front and back of the house is a deterrent for suspects, who want to operate under the cover of darkness.
- Trim branches and hedges away from windows and doorways to eliminate areas where suspects can avoid being seen as they attempt to break in to your house.
- Make sure that your doors have a lock on the handle and a deadbolt lock. If there is a window next to the door handle, the deadbolt should be a double key lock and not a thumb lock on the inside. The key should be hung up inside, where your family can find it easily in the event of an emergency. You can also add an additional sliding latch lock or chain on the inside of your door pretty inexpensively.
- Placing a piece of wood or metal in the track of your sliding glass doors and windows can make entry to your home much more difficult for criminals.
- If you have an attached garage, lock the door to your house, even when the garage door is closed. If a thief gains entry to your garage, you do not want to give them easy access to your house.
The idea is to place enough hurdles in front of the bad guys that they are deterred completely or they are slowed down enough that they attract attention and get caught.
Thank you all for everything you do to support our crime fighting efforts,