Photos from Baltimore County Public Library
Aigburth Vale, a Second Empire style mansion built by Niernsee and Neilson (c. 1868) as a country home for wealthy actor John E. Owens. Adjacent to the Towson Senior High School property, the building was eventually purchased by the Baltimore County School Board for offices. In the 1990’s, the Board of Education returned the property to the County and it was offered for sale. Aigburth Vale is on the Baltimore County Landmarks list, and is currently senior apartments.
This 1925 aerial view looks west over part of the Towson Nurseries estate towards Stephens Hall and Newell Hall of the State Normal School (Towson University). Towson Nurseries plantings are on the east side of York Road, off what is now Cedar Avenue. The Stone-McCabe house (now the Newman Center) is in the middle distance, and the Judge Nicholas Burke house on Burke Avenue is slightly to the south and right of the Newell Hall residence building.