A long-running neighborhood dispute over the status of a building connected with a religious organization in Towson’s Aigburth Manor neighborhood moved a step closer to a resolution this month when the Baltimore County Board of Appeals ruled that the 6,600-square-foot structure is a community center and not, as its owner claims, a residence.
Chabad of Towson and Goucher is an outreach program sponsored by Chabad Lubavitch, a division of Orthodox Judaism.
According to its website, the center serves the Jewish community of Towson University and Goucher College. Its offerings include a library, student dinners, religious education, social events and holiday gatherings.
The Sept. 5 decision comes as another one regarding the structure is pending. In April, a Baltimore County Circuit Court judge ordered that the structure be torn down by March 1, 2018, ruling that in building where they did, property owner Friends of Lubavitch, Inc. violated a covenant in a 1950 deed requiring that the structure be at least 115 feet from the road. Friends of Lubavitch appealed the decision the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, but a hearing date has not yet been set.